Saturday, August 3, 2013

Peach Pickin'

It's peach week at Millstone Creek Orchard! I'm going to be completely honest, I was totally unaware that my kids even liked peaches until last week.  I've never really been a peach fan, and a couple years ago, I bought a few for Leeland at the grocery store and he didn't care for them.  Which that doesn't really say much, as a toddler, he was super particular about textures, so the fuzziness and mushiness probably threw him off.  OR, for all I know, because I didn't try them, maybe they weren't even ripe and were bitter or something.  Who knows?

So anyway, last week we went to the Farmer's Market for some fresh veggies and a particular stand was handing out peach samples and Leeland devoured it.  So I bought a small basket.  (Marketing folks, sampling DOES in fact work!)  The boys killed that little basket of peaches in a couple of days, so when Millstone Creek posted on their Facebook page about it being peach week, I knew that they would love it. 

The kick off to peach week this weekend, included free hayrides and discounted prices.  Leeland and Hayden really enjoyed Strawberry Picking a while back, and peaches were no different.  It was INCREDIBLY hot outside today, so we didn't last long, but thankfully it didn't take long to fill our basket with peaches.  We even had a chance to venture over to the blueberry patch and pick the few blueberries that were left (blueberry season is ending.)

Too excited to look at your camera Momma, we're on a hayride!!


Filling his basket.


Sooo.... funny story about this group photo.  It's the middle of the work week for Daniel, so he wasn't able to join us today unfortunately.  I was hesitant in going by myself, but thought I'd give it a whirl.  When I get to the hayride, there's a lady there with FOUR kids by herself (one of them a brand new baby)..... I felt pretty silly for thinking I couldn't do it by myself with two, when she was doing great with four.  AND, amongst the chaos of her kiddos, she offered to snap a photo of us.  What a sweet, sweet lady.  (And super Mom!)



Blueberries are technically going OUT of season and had been picked a ton in the past couple weeks, but we were still able to find quite a bit before we got too hot in the humidity.

And now enter such a cute scene of peaches.  I meticulously stacked those peaches to make the basket look over flowing and sat the boys down.... And I have about 15 of these photos, and not even one of them are both boys looking. ((Sigh!))



1 peach fell victim to Hayden before we paid.... Oops!
MMMM!! Peach slushie!!!
Picnic!

 We have SOOO many peaches!  I made a little dessert tonight, (ssshhh! Don't tell my Beach Body Coach.)  I made Ina Garten's Peach and Blueberry Crumble.
.... going in the oven....
Warm, bubbly, crispy, yummy, sweet, goodness!
So I guess our next fruit picking adventure will be apples in about a month!  In the mean time, I need to figure out what to do with all of these peaches!

No comments:

Post a Comment