Sunday, June 23, 2013

P90x: Week 1 Wrap Up

The most difficult thing this week has been timing of the work outs.  Balancing the kids and kid-less time.  In a perfect world I would get up early and complete my work outs before the boys wake up.  However, we don't live in a perfect world.  Leeand has started waking up around 6am most days as opposed to his usual 730am, so it's a mind game deciding what time to get up to be able to get it done before he's up, not knowing when he'll be up.  And then also we co-sleep with Hayden, and most days if I attempt to sneak out of bed, Hayden realizes it very soon and begins to scream.  (Not a big deal the days that Daniel is off because he can stay in bed and snuggle with him, but when it's just me, it's a struggle.)  The first few days, I tried work outs during nap time thinking that would be easiest-- however, getting Hayden down for a nap isn't easy and takes a lot of work, AND after chasing the kiddos, getting up early, I'm exhausted by nap time and find it somewhat difficult to focus.  I just want to nap myself... OR take advantage of the kids sleeping to get some things done around the house...

BUT.... No more excuses!  The timing is going to be something that we just have to work out over the next few weeks.  They say it takes 21 days to build a habit, so it will boil down to trying different times and figuring out what what works best and building that habit.  It's going to be difficult in the beginning because I'm not used to another thing being added to my day, but it will be worth it.

So here's how the first week's work outs went:

DAY 1- Chest & Back and Ab Ripper:  This was my very 1st day of work outs and it was incredibly difficult.  I almost cried!  I could barely accomplish a push up.  I threw myself a pity party thinking that I didn't realize how far I had let myself go.  In reality, even when I was working out, I was never doing push-ups, so why would I be good at them? Ab ripper was equally as difficult.  Sit ups! Are you kidding me?!  Sit ups are NOT crunches, they are TOUGH!

DAY 2- Plyometrics:  I actually looked forward to plyometrics because I thought that I'm a runner and it would be where I excelled.  But holy cow, it was rough!  My thighs were BURNING!  That evening I was busily getting, doing, putting away laundry and changing the sheets on the bed, and the burn in the thighs kicked my butt going up and down the stairs.

DAY 3- Shoulders & Arms and Ab Ripper: After the first 2 days being so difficult and me wanting to cry because I was so incredibly terrible at it all, shoulders and arms was a major confidence booster! I really really enjoyed the shoulder and arms work outs and found them much easier for me than the previous days.  It also helps that I found that I need some heavier weights, so that's a boost in the ego knowing that I can lift heavier than I originally thought.  I did a little bit better at ab ripper on this day than day 1, though I didn't get anywhere near the amount of reps they are doing in the video.  My abs have been sore for a couple days now, so I guess I'll take that as a sign that it's working.

DAY 4- Yoga: I officially loathe yoga.  Daniel warned me that it was difficult (he isn't flexible) but that's not the reason that I despise it.  I'm an incredibly impatient person so yoga was a lot of slowing and winding down-- it goes very slow, and it takes going through 10 moves to get to the next move, then 11 moves to the next, 12 to the next.  It was quite irritating to me early in the morning.  I'm gonna confess that I didn't complete the full hour and a half of yoga, I only did 30 minutes.  I'll do better next week.  I may have to do the full video of yoga in 2 doses so it doesn't drive me crazy-- I know it will get better eventually once I learn the moves, then I'll be able to turn on my own music and do it at my own pace.

DAY 5- Legs & Back:  My legs are still incredibly tight and sore from plyometrics the other day, so I was incredibly nervous going into a leg work out with very sore muscles.  Just finished it up and it wasn't as bad on my sore muscles as I had anticipated.  Don't get me wrong, the work out definitely wasn't easy, squats and lunges over and over are no joke, but for the moment, my sore muscles actually feel better after having worked them out some more. Weird!

DAY 6- Kenpo:  For those who may not know, Kenpo is a variation of martial arts.  Doing Kenpo was SO much fun!  Though I did Tae Kwan Doe as a kid and also grew up with a brother, I punch a lot like a girl.  Girly punches aside though, it was a blast.  It also probably helped that this was one of the first work outs that I've really been able to keep up with and complete the reps as the instructors do them.  I sweated like a pig, seriously, like a lot, and I can only assume that means that I was doing it right.

DAY 7: REST DAY:  Praise the Lord!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment