Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tie Dye Fun

What happens when you get a bunch of hippies together?  You tie dye things of course!  This was my first time tie dying since like middle school and it was a lot of fun.  I made each of the boys a shirt, Daniel a shirt, and a tie dyed a yard of cotton fabric for me.



Hard to tell in the lighting (it's been cloudy and rainy most days here) but the boys' shirts are blue, green and yellow spiral.  Daniel's is black and blue spiral, though the black is more of a charcoal gray, and mine had purple, yellow and blue.

The colors turned out a bit more muted than I would have liked.  The boys' shirts and Daniel's shirt aren't too bad, but my fabric has A LOT of fade and white space.  The white space is partly how I tied it, and after doing some reading up on tie dye I found that I probably should've prewashed my fabric and soaked it in the soda ash a bit longer to have the colors more pronounced.

Ultimately it didn't really matter how our tie dyed items turned out, it was more about the company and the kids having a good time.  But I have been bitten by the tie dye bug now!  The past few days my mind has been running, thinking up all the neat things that I could tie dye and make.  I think we're going to have to order a family kit soon and maybe have fun together making some more stuff tie dyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment