Sunday, May 12, 2013

Lemony Sweet Mother's Day

I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to make a lemon pound cake.  I've been wanting to try out some new cake recipes so that I have a few more options to offer when people order cakes.  I LOVE lemon pound cake, but just needed a reason to make it.  So with my family getting together for Mother's Day, that seemed like an appropriate time-- they could be my taste testers and for the most part, my family will tell me like it is.

It wasn't until Mother's Day came though, that I really got to thinking about the symbolism reflected in a lemon pound cake for Mother's Day.

On Mother's Day I have SO many things to celebrate-- I have two handsome little blessings from the Lord, I have a wonderful and supportive Step Mother, and I absolutely adore my Mother-In-Law, but amongst all of those wonderful things, Mother's day is still bittersweet missing my Mom.  A lot like a lemon pound cake.
(Clearly I've been having some more fun with the ombre effect.) 

I will say that this Mother's Day weekend was most definitely a good one-- It started out Saturday night when we surprised my Mother-In-Law with dinner.  My Brother-In-Laws and their wives, (and all the kiddos) we all showed up with baked spaghetti, salad and garlic bread.  It was yummy yummy, and it was a nice treat to all get together and catch up.

Then Sunday we went to church as a family and headed over to my Sister's house to have lunch with my family.  Grilled chicken, salad, baked beans, lemon pound cake and homemade Oreo ice cream. 

And my wonderful husband and little boys showered me with a couple gifts and a super sweet card too.  I got a plate and 2 charms for my Origami Owl necklace and a navy blue maxi dress.
Have you seen Origami Owl?  It's so adorable and so personal.  My plate says "Blessed" and then I have the large locket with 6 charms in it-- both boys' birthstones, an "I Love You" sign language hand, a vintage cross, a coffee cup, and a police badge.  I LOVE it!  If you are interested in Origami Owl, check out my friend Kendra's page, she'll help you order and answer your questions.  There's SO many charms to pick from, it's kind of addicting.

And here's some photos of the two little reasons that I even get to celebrate Mother's day as a Mother.



Hope you all had a fantastic Mother's Day!  Happy Mother's Day to all of my Momma readers! 




No comments:

Post a Comment