Sunday, May 26, 2013

NCHE Conference

"My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,  in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge."
-Colossians 2:2-3
   
Daniel and I had the privilege of attending the NCHE Conference in Winston-Salem the past 3 days. I say privilege because we were actually able to attend for free!  (You know I love free stuff.)  The NCHE organization offers the opportunity for parents of preschoolers to attend the full conference and book fair for free.  Going into the conference, with Leeland only being 3, we knew that we were a little ahead of the game, but we also have lots of decisions to make over the next couple years, and felt like we had a lot of questions to start getting answered.

So since several have found out we attended the conference, we've gotten the question, "So are you really going to homeschool?" And my response, "Do we like wasting our time?", or "Would we spend 3 days out of our lives at a conference if we weren't seriously considering it?"

.... So yes! Yes, we are in fact we are very seriously considering it!  Going into the conference I was on the fence, I felt like we were still weighing our options.  Homeschooling was very high on the list, but I had wavered back and forth a bit between it and a local private school.  Leaving the conference today, I felt energized, passionate and much more focused.  I want to homeschool.  I want to give it a whirl.  I still have all of these feelings of inadequacy that probably will remain, but I'm ready.  I've had my questions answered, I've seen real people with real lives who have homeschooled several children successfully, and I even got my hands on and explored curriculum.

Homeschooling isn't just about the education, it's a lifestyle.  A lifestyle that I want for our boys.  

I could not have been more happy with the workshops that we attended at the NCHE conference.  They were not only very informative and answered many of our questions, but each of the speakers also had a focus and a passion for the Lord that was contagious and invigorating.

We even purchased a couple of books to begin some homeschool preschooling with Leeland soon.  I'm excited! I know that it won't be an easy road, but it will be a road well worth the work.  

"Train up a child in the way he should go,
And when he is old he will not depart from it."
-Proverbs 22:6  

I also just have to shout out a special thank you to those who took care of our boys the 3 days that we were in attendance to the conference.  We truly appreciate your kindness and loved knowing that our boys were in good hands while we were away.

**If you would like more information on NCHE or homeschooling, you can visit their website at nche.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment