Thursday, August 2, 2012

2 In Cloth

Several people have asked about what it's like to have 2 babies in cloth diapers, and being completely honest, not a lot has changed from having 1 in cloth diapers.  With Hayden almost 6 months old, I didn't anticipate having both boys in cloth this long, but after trying to potty train Leeland 3 times already and not succeeded, here we are with 2 boys in cloth diapers still. 

Hayden wore disposable diapers for the first 2 weeks of his life.  (Not that I remember much from that time period....) We didn't make the transition to cloth for 2 weeks because I was sleep deprived and constantly nursing and I wasn't washing our clothes really, much less diapers.  At 2 weeks old we began using pre-folds and covers.  Hayden wore size small Oso Cozy pre-folds and I had 5 Thirsties Duo covers.  At this point it was pretty much like Hayden had his own set of diapers and Leeland had his own set of diapers so I still only did laundry every 3-4 days.  I LOVE pre-folds.... and I sort of miss them.  He grew out of those pretty quickly. 

At around 3 1/2 - 4 months, the pre-folds stopped wrapping around my little chunk's body so we transitioned him into wearing our one-size diapers.  These are the diapers that Leeland wears-- we have a collection of mostly bumGenius 4.0's, some Kawaiis, Fuzzibunz, Charlie Banana and a couple "no name" diapers.  With the transition to the one-size diapers I have had to bump up to doing laundry every 2 days, but other than the extra laundry it has been really easy.  Because Leeland is so skinny and Hayden is so chunky, they wear their one-size dipes literally on the SAME setting-- same rise and same snap around the waist.  It's kind of weird that they wear the exact same size diapers, but at the same time it's really nice and makes my job easier.  The only difference I do between the two is that Leeland gets 2 inserts in his diaper because he's a heavier wetter and Hayden gets 1 insert.  Of course if I was ever in a "pinch" though and out with both boys and only 1 diaper, it wouldn't really matter how many inserts was in a diaper. 

We love our cloth diapers, loved them with one cloth tush and really love them with 2 cloth tushies! A lot of the reason for our switch to cloth diapers (almost 2 years ago) was because of Leeland's sensitive skin, but also because of tight finances-- and now that we are getting double the use out of our diapers cloth diapers have REALLY paid off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment