Friday, September 9, 2011

Melissa's Chicken Pot Pie

One of the best gifts that I received when I had Leeland was meals. It's something that Daniel and I really didn't think about, but when we got home from the hospital with Leeland, we were so sleep deprived and overwhelmed that we had a lot of junk to eat. Jimmy John's one night, Chick-Fil-A another, Papa John's the next. (Not that those things are bad in moderation, but every night is a little excessive.) In hindsight, this was probably something we should have prepared for and had some dishes frozen away.  So back to the best gift-- 2 of my dear friends brought us a few meals!  Those nights we ate like champions!  (For real!) One of those recipes I'm gonna share with you today. My dear friend Melissa's chicken pot pie. It's one that has definitely become a staple around our house--something that I can easily put together the night before, or during nap time and then just bake it off when we're ready to eat.  I've even passed it along to many of my friends who have had children. 

Chicken Pot Pie
  • About 3 cooked and shredded chicken breasts
  • 1 can cream of potato soup
  • 1 can cream of celery soup
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can Veg-All drained
  • 1 box of 2 roll-out pie crusts
I usually bake my chicken with a little salt and pepper and then shred it with 2 forks in a bowl while it's hot. Then you mix all of the chicken with all of your canned products. As far as the canned products go, I will say that usually buy the healthier choices if there is one-- low fat and low or no sodium. (I haven't noticed a difference in taste with these.)  Roll out one of your pie crusts into your pie dish, then fill with your chicken mixture.  Top with the second crust and tuck in your edges to the best of your ability-- make it look like a pie.  You're going to want to cut a few slits in the top so that your pie can breath.  At this point if I am making it ahead, I throw some foil on it and pop it in the fridge.  
When it's time to bake your pot pie, heat your oven to 425 degrees. If it is has been in the fridge prior, then I usually bake it in the oven WITH the foil on for about 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until your crust is as golden as you like it. If you haven't refrigerated it, you can probably get away with just the latter bake with no foil. 
Also, if you're making it for someone, I usually make it and refrigerate it with foil and then give them the baking instructions, so they can make it when they want it. 


And then you just enjoy your tasty chicken pot pie!!  Thank you to both Melissa and Alisa for making meals for us after Leeland was born, and sharing the recipes with us too! (Do we get more after #2 is here?? Just kidding.)  Happy cooking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment