Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Hummingbird Cake

We celebrated my Dad's birthday today with family and of course I always bake the sweets in the family, so when my Mom asked, I told her "Of course I'll whip something up for him!"  I've made a lot of pound cakes lately and was looking for something new to try, so I ventured over to Pinterest, sorted through some of my boards and found something that I pinned who knows when, never made, and sounded delicious.

The Hummingbird Cake-- it was described to me as a cake with the flavors of carrot cake, lots of cinnamon, nuts (pecans), and cream cheese frosting, but it is made with bananas and pineapple (no carrots).  As soon as it was in the oven, from the smell running throughout the house, I KNEW it was going to be delicious.  (Confession-- YES! Even though I am eating cleaner and doing P90x, I did try a slice of cake.  The beauty of having kiddos though is that Hayden at much of my slice and I walked away free of guilt but still being able to taste test the latest creation.)
 Look at all that pecan goodness partying amongst the cream cheese frosting! Yum!

 Leeland loved it!
This is what happens when you take pictures holding a fussy toddler... But, you get the point of what the inside is like. 

Want to try to make one yourself?  Here is the Hummingbird Cake Recipe that I used.  Go whip one up, it really does taste amazing.... and the cream cheese frosting is to die for!

No comments:

Post a Comment