Saturday, May 14, 2011

Another baby shower cake and sugar sheets.

This weekend I had another baby shower cake order-- those things really make me realize how many people are pregnant. I know SO many people having babies right now! Are you in the same boat? I have to admit that it makes me a little jealous... just a little. I would LOVE to be pregnant again and make Leeland a big brother. In God's time it will happen-- the patience on my end is the hard part.

So without further ado, here's the cake I made. The couple that it is for don't know if they are having a boy or a girl-- a good old fashioned surprise.  The cake needed to be somewhat jungle themed or monkey, and I thought green and yellow were good "jungly" gender neutral colors.


I used sugar sheets to make the yellow and green polka dots.  Sugar sheets are a new product that Wilton just came out with. And I mean really new-- like this month-- like when I called AC Moore, they wouldn't give me any because they weren't going out till this weekend-- BUT when I called Michael's, a sweet gal there offered to sort through their boxes and find exactly what I needed.  Thanks Michaels's! (For there record, I do in fact love both stores and know that they have their own protocol for new merchandise and love to frequent both.)

They are literally like paper-- 8 1/2" x 11" and are about the same thickness as card stock.  You can use scissors to cut them or Wilton makes a special punch tool where you can punch out various shapes. I tasted some and they just taste sweet and they are a little chewy like fondant. Overall I really enjoyed them! They are much easier to work with than fondant and I like that they are so thin so you don't get the look of a giant circle popping off the cake.  The bag is resealable and the instructions say that if you place what you don't use back in the sealed  bag then you can store them-- I used all of what I bought but I wish I would've kept some scraps to test that theory and make sure it didn't dry out. Thanks Wilton for another fabulous product!

3 comments:

  1. Your cakes are SO great Dana :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so adorable, love that cake! great job, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Baking is one of my all time favorite things! :0)

    ReplyDelete