Sunday, December 16, 2012

"No poo" update

Well the move really threw me for a loop with my no-pooing for a little bit. (First started here.)  It was going so wonderfully at the apartment but then when we moved out into the country, I seemed to go through a second oily "transition period."  I fully blame it on the hard well water, but I'm not really for certain.  Anyway, several people have asked about me no-pooing and about my recipe and such and I finally feel like I have tweaked things enough that I have a recipe for you.  Feel free to try it out and tweak it to fit you and your hair style, and let me know how it goes.

My shampoo is 1 1/2 cups boiling water and 2 tablespoons of baking soda.  Since moving to hard well water, I have found that boiling water works the best.  I make it in advance and let it cool and keep it in an old salsa jar in the shower.  Be careful when you mix the boiling water and baking soda because it will bubble up a lot.  And don't forget to let it cool before putting it on your head! (Sad that I feel like I have to say that?)

My "conditioner" I don't have exact measurements for because I just fill and old spaghetti sauce jar.  I found that the apple cider vinegar, though I love the shine and smoothness it gives my hair, it was making my hair a bit limp so I had to cut back some.  I currently fill my jar 20-25% full with ACV and 75-80% warm water. 

We're now two months into the no-pooing experience and I'm at a point where I only wash my hair like every 3-4 days now.  Definitely saves me some time getting ready, since you know, I do have two small children.  And I still really feel like it looks and feels (and smells) great! 

PS. I still LOVE my hot rollers!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment