Saturday, October 20, 2012

Blessed in the little things....

This week I've really been thinking about how blessed our family is.  I can't seem to shake this overwhemling feeling of humility and how the Lord takes care of us.  Of course I'm so thankful for our new home, but I've really been overwhelmed with the little blessings.  It reminds me of the Joy Dare by Ann Voskamp.  I started the joy dare in August, but didn't exactly finish even august, and it goes a whole year.  I have followed along with it on her Facebook page, but missing some days and I stopped writing down my responses.  The premise of the Joy Dare is that everyday you are righting down little bits of joy and little things that you are thankful for, gifts if you will, and by the end of the year you have 1000 Gifts

So I'm not writing down my gifts and haven't completely kept up with it, but mentally the thought of being thankful for little things has remained.  I feel like a slacker for discontinuing it, but I don't think I missed the point.  In the beginning of the Joy Dare, I wrote down little gifts that went along with whatever she was asking that day and I felt silly.  (example she'll ask one day-- "3 gifts green" or "A gift small, smaller, smallest..." or "A gift caught, let go, mid-way...") I felt silly because some of the things that I was writing down seemed silly.  But lately I've been struck that it's not.... we should be thankful for the little silly things.  The things that get overlooked... the things that we tend to not give God the credit and the glory for. 

So this week, I have been struck and humbled and thankful in the little things--
-Having a kitchen windowsill for the 1st time for tomatoes to ripen in.
-A washer and dryer.
-That what I thought was a week's worth of groceries, will last over a week.
-Leeland potty learning.
-Clean cloth diapers.
-Winning an item on Ebay.
-Our sweet Lilly girl (my furry daughter).
-Christmas being right around the corner.
-A vacuum.
-... Clean floors.
-My sewing machine and the ability to make and create.

I will give thanks to the Lord according to His righteousness
And will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High.
-Psalm 7:17

No comments:

Post a Comment