After being sidetracked by other projects, the regular household duties, and just plain laziness, I have finally finished crocheting the project that I first spoke about here in.... ummm... September. This took much longer than it should have for sure and I really don't have much of an excuse.
The end result is a blanket for Hayden. (So really I didn't have to finish for another 3 months :D) It's a little bit bigger than I expected so it will be a blanket that he can grow into. I found the pattern out of a crochet book called "Cuddly Crochet." I bought the book at a local craft store last year and have gotten a lot of use out of it, had some fun, had a little stress, and learned some new techniques. Most of the patterns in the book are classified as "easy" and would be suitable for a somewhat beginner crocheter. Going into this book, I only knew how to crochet a "single crochet stitch," and I now know many more stitches. The book goes over some of the how-to's in the beginning with diagrams and pictures, it breaks down yarn weights and also gauges. There is also a very handy glossary in the back that breaks down all the crochet abbreviations in the patterns. The hardest thing from this book when I first started was making the hats. My stitches tend to be a little bit larger than the author's and therefore if I made a hat with the amount of stitches she suggests, my hat was far too big-- it took some tweaking for me to figure out the edits to accommodate my stitches but I have successfully made hats for Leeland, and also for some friends' babies. Without further ado, here is Hayden's hand crocheted sheep blanket.
I am very pleased with it, and it feels good to have it completed. Now on to figuring out what my next project will be.