Monday, June 13, 2011

Days at home.

     I intended to post this weekend and then I didn't get around to it-- I was thoroughly enjoying my time at home with my little man. Please forgive me but I LOVE my weekends! I have come to look forward to those 3 days a week that I am off work and can be full-time Mommy. It really makes me miss being a stay-at-home Mom. Some may think I'm being too whiny considering I only work 20 hours a week, but that's 20 hours a week, a little over 80 hours a month and 1040 hours a year that I am missing with my sweet little boy.... And that's not even counting drive time! 

     I also would like to add that on my days at home, I get a ton more done! I feel like I'm actually being the homemaker I'm supposed to be and capable of being. Catching up on laundry, cooking home cooked meals that include dessert! It may some weird to some, but it's what keeps me ticking, what I yearn to do, what I feel like I was made to do!

    Without further ado, here's our dinner Saturday! I made Rachael Rays "Harvest Moon Macaroni". It's kind of become a favorite, and it's a SUPER easy way to add veggies to your diet, or your toddler's diet (or husband's) without them knowing. It's a butternut squash sauce with cheese (of course!) and macaroni.
Butternut squash pasta sauce!
The finished product--minus some ;0)
    The beauty of cooking is that you can "tweek" recipes and make them your own.  Our family doesn't have dinner without a protein, so I baked some chicken, shredded it with 2 forks and threw it into the macaroni as well. It was super yummy.  I was also thinking I could hide even more veggies in it, but didn't have many on hand.

And for dessert...... CHOCOLATE CHESS PIE!!!! We LOVE chocolate! And I'll share the recipe with you!

Ingredients:
-1/4 cup of butter                                           -pinch of salt
-2 squares of Baker's unsweet chocolate       -1/2 cup of milk
-1 1/2 cups of sugar                                       -2 eggs
-1 tablespoon of flour                                    -1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1 unbaked frozen pie crust

First melt the butter and the chocolate in a small sauce pan.
If this weren't unsweet, I'd be all over that pan.
Once your chocolate and butter are melted, add them to a bowl and add your dry ingredients. Mix a little so that the mixture cools before adding your eggs. Then add your wet ingredients and mix. Once it is mixed, beat on medium speed 5-6 minutes.
This is just after it's mixed

After 6 minutes of beating. That time makes a HUGE difference. Makes the batter fluffy like pudding :0)
Pour the batter into your pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until the pie is set.

The pie will rise...

and then the pie will fall....
I have made 2 of these pies this weekend and I haven't figured out why they keep falling, but they do. Regardless of what it may look like, looks don't really matter, the pie tastes pretty darn heavenly!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to have to make both of these- they look pretty darn awesome!

    And Dana, regardless of how much you work outside of the home, you're still an awesome wife and mom. Being away from home doesn't earn you demerits in the homemaker catagory, either. You're awesome and you know it- and your guys know it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl! You're too sweet! <3

    ReplyDelete