Saturday, October 18, 2014

Our Peanuts

There is finally a chill in the air.  Mums and pumpkins adorn every porch on the block.... It's October!  And with October comes the annual family tradition of the haul out to the orchard to watch "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown."  I think this has to be one of my favorite family traditions!  This is our 3rd year going, and I dread the day that the kids "outgrow" it.  Although, I also wonder if hay rides and Charlie Brown ever are truly outgrown?  I mean, I still have a good time!

Anyway, in typical tradition, we arrive to the orchard in costume.... and when I say "we", I mean Leeland and Hayden.  Although Leeland and his impeccable memory, DID recall Daniel and I participating in costume last year, and wanted to know where our costume was.  (In hindsight, Daniel and I could have pulled off Sally and Linus.... but thinking of that 30 minutes before it's time to head out the door doesn't get it accomplished.)  The boys changed their mind at least 6 or 7 times on what they wanted to dress as for Halloween this year-- really, Leeland changed his mind.... and Hayden went along with every single change.  They finally settled on Charlie Brown and Snoopy.  They came up with the idea ALL on their own, and it could not have been more fitting.  Once they decided that they weren't going to change their minds anymore, I bought the supplies to put together the costumes.




Aren't they the cutest Charlie Brown and Snoopy you ever did see?  The tail totally makes the Snoopy costume, every time I look at it, I smile.  Such a cute little Snoopy.  And Leeland is SO SO proud of his Charlie Brown costume-- I see this surpassing Halloween.

Once they were in character, we headed for the orchard.  First up on the list of things to do was the hay ride of course.


.... followed by hot dogs and smores.




... And then, they had a costume contest.  Neither of my cuties placed in the contest, BUT, my niece did win 3rd place and she was totally stoked.  And after the costume contest was the main event.... The Great Pumpkin!

Such sweet memories made snuggling up with blankets under the stars watching Charlie Brown and eating apple turnovers.  Seriously my favorite tradition!  We will continue going each year for as long as the orchard will have us, and as long as our boys will go....  And now we look forward to Halloween night, and for the great pumpkin to arrive! :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment