Thursday, January 10, 2019

Sewing Through 2018

Many years ago in my MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) days, it was brought up that the reason they do a craft at one of the meetings each month is because Moms need the feeling of completion.  So much of our life as Moms is never finished, whether that be laundry, cooking, cleaning or for some, even our careers.  Always something to be done, or in the case of food and laundry, done again... and again. We crave little victories of completed projects.  So as our family has grown, the school work in our homeschool has expanded, and I've added work from home jobs to my plate, it may seem crazy that I've added more projects to my plate, but it has been so rewarding.

I dusted off my sewing machine for the first time in years in January of 2018 to make the big kids quilts.  Aside from a Halloween costume here or there, I just hadn't used it.  The end result was rekindling a love of creativity and I set a goal for the year to sew at least one thing each month.  These are the results of that goal.

JANUARY: Quilts for the big kids



FEBRUARY: Outfit for Evelyn





MARCH: 2 dresses for Evelyn






APRIL:  2 dresses for Evelyn



MAY:  3 tops, finished an old heirloom 
quilt (50+ years old), and 1 dress




June: ALL the hair bows! (A great scrap buster project.)


July: Deer stuffy and skirted overalls



August: A top for Evelyn


September: 2 more tops, and a Christmas dress



October: Modified top for Evelyn, 2 dresses 
and 2 sets of corn hole bags (not pictured)





November:  Flannel dress, and another Christmas dress



December: Quilt for Joel



What a year!  I've built quite a collection of patterns for one thing.... but I've improved, grown and learned so much about sewing.  Though I will add that still not one project has turned out perfectly.  Each item is and looks homemade with love.  I look forward to churning out many more creations for my kids, family, home and me.  To create is a beautiful process for the heart, mind and soul.  Sewing as an art has become my self care and my "me time" in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment